Nutritious vegan options are becoming more prevalent in college dining halls - yay! Still, it's not necessarily a wide variety of options available day to day, so I called on some of my fellow food bloggers to help me compile a resource for you college students to help you discover what you can cook on your own. That's right, in your dorm room.
All of these recipes can be made with just the following appliances:
- a mini-fridge
- a microwave
It would also be a good idea to have the following basics:
- a bowl
- a dish
- a cup
- a jar with a lid
- a cutting board and knife (if not allowed, use one in the dorm kitchen or buy already-chopped fruit & veg from the dining hall)
Where to Find Ingredients
- See what you can bring back to your room from the dining halls. Remember the on-campus market, too, where you can also (usually) use your dining card.
- Most college towns have a farmers market nearby, which can add much-desired variety to your diet, even with a small amount of cash. And you get to support local, hard-working farmers! You can't beat the quality found at most markets, with their fresh-picked selections.
- Check out the nearby grocery store. Some schools even have a shuttle that will take you on the weekends.
- Try growing a few herbs on your windowsill! It's easy and adds so much to your dish. Think fresh mint in your water, basil in your salad.
Your roommate or someone else in your hall might want to go in on some groceries and use these recipes, too! They're bound to find something they like on this long list, whether or not they consider themselves "vegan". You'll be doing them a favor, introducing them to some delicious and nutritious food. More brain power for school!
Easy College Dorm Room-Friendly Recipes
Get the day started:
Get through the day:
The Sweet Side
Get Cozy with Comforting Oatmeal:
A Fun Way to Get those Omega-3s: Chia Pudding!
Fast French Toast
Have Your Cake
Energy Bites without a Food Processor
Give Yourself a Break - Sit Around & Eat Bon Bons
Find Your Own Path with Trail Mix
Let's Get This Party Started:
by Black White Vivid
Mmm: Mac & Cheese
Taco Tuesday (or Every Day)
by Happy Kitchen. Rocks