Loaded Potato Breakfast Bowl from the Vegan Bowl Attack! Cookbook
For months, I have been looking forward to Jackie Sobon's new book, Vegan Bowl Attack!: More Than 100 One-Dish Meals Packed with Plant-Based Power. So imagine my thrill when an early copy arrived from the publisher! This book is right up my alley, filled with one-dish meals that are beautiful and fun to make while soooo satisfying to eat! It's available in stores now, including in the Beautiful Ingredient Bookstore and at the bottom of this page.
Jackie of Vegan Yack Attack
Jackie is the founder of Vegan Yack Attack, a fun vegan food blog she started several years ago with a desire to maintain a sustainable lifestyle after learning of the negative impact factory farming and chemicals found in food, beauty, and household products have on our environment. She's an inspiration and I'm so happy for her as she launches this cookbook.
Loaded Potato Breakfast Bowl
Loaded Potato Breakfast Bowl is my new favorite recipe. "Loaded" is right: this recipe, with or without vegan cheese, is loaded with creamy, flavorful goodness. It's warm and cozy, so I have this earmarked to make often in the fall and winter - though we are appreciating it's comfort on a summer morning, too! Who am I kidding - we've eaten this at all times of day. Jackie nails the gravy in this recipe - I want it all day, every day. The arugula provides a bright, lemony flavor that feels appropriate for this time of year, and using fresh summer tomatoes elevates it, too.
Notes on Loaded Potato Breakfast Bowl
A few notes on this recipe:
- It is super tasty comfort food. Did I mention that?
- Ideally, the gravy and potato hash are made at the same time (the recipe cues you).
- Once the cooking begins you'll be in pretty constant motion, so it's important to read the whole recipe before starting.
- Due to that constant motion, mise en place (having all ingredients prepped before cooking) is important. It takes some time to prep, so consider this your moment of zen.
- There's no boiling potatoes in advance - they are just cooked/steamed in the pan. Yay, one less pot!
- Don't be afraid to keep the potato heat at medium-high until the recipe cues you to turn it down. True confession: I wimped out and made the potatoes on medium, which caused them to stick - they didn't on medium-high. I did keep it at a lower-end medium-high to avoid burning/smoking, and made sure to keep turning the potatoes every couple minutes - worked well.
- I sliced thin Field Roast's Creamy Original Chao Slices for the pictures with cheese. They melted nicely and made it extra creamy, though I must say I really enjoyed it without cheese, too.
Potato hash ingredients below, pictured from top left, clockwise: coconut oil, arugula, fresh tomato, russet potatoes, white onion, salt & pepper, red pepper
Gravy ingredients below, pictured from top left, clockwise: reduced fat coconut milk, white onion, mushrooms, nutritional yeast, vegan cheese slices, black pepper, liquid aminos, cornstarch, garlic
The recipe provides a generous amount for 4 servings. Mmmmm.
Loaded Potato Breakfast Bowl
Reprinted from Vegan Bowl Attack!: More than 100 One-Dish Meals Packed with Plant-Based Power
By Jackie Sobon, published by Fair Winds Press
Yield: 2 large or 4 small servings
VEGAN | GLUTEN-FREE | WFPB | REF SUGAR-FREE
Tip: It helps to read the whole recipe before starting.
Pick up your copy at your local bookstore, or online here:
Next from the Book
The next recipe on my list to try from Vegan Bowl Attack!? Nectarine Quinoa Porridge! With nectarines currently in season, I can't wait to make this. It includes my all-time favorite nut: pistachio! I don't think I can wait until tomorrow morning...